Tuesday, 25 October 2011

A GLANCE AT THE LIFE OF SOLOMON THE GREAT

Solomon knew so much, or so we thought. He is revered for his unmatched wisdom, which made his book, Proverbs, an invaluable work in the Bible. But if we take a closer look at the life of this great mind, we might notice that Solomon wasn't as successful as many would believe.

Judging by his last work, *Ecclesiastes*, one can tell that Solomon wasn't satisfied or fulfilled with his experiences in his younger years. What does that leave us with? It’s my belief that no matter how much wisdom one has, it amounts to nothing if one does not have Christ Jesus.

After reading *Ecclesiastes*, I feel the title should not have been *Ecclesiastes*, but rather *Lamentations of the Supposed Wisest Man*.

Solomon had wives and concubines beyond human imagination, yet how many offspring did he have? There's a verse in his last work that I affectionately refer to as "Lamentations of the Supposed Wisest Man Ever Lived" that I love so much. The verse is Ecclesiastes 9:11 (KJV):

"I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favor to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all."

Considering life and its accompanying vanities, Solomon ultimately gave it all up to God, acknowledging that it is all a matter of “time and chance.”

I pray that God gives us the ability to understand the secrets of life.

1 comment: